When most people think of drought-tolerant plants, they immediately think of cactii. Indeed, most succulents require very little water, storing moisture in their leaves and stems, and conserving moisture by have small of vestigial leaves.
Bulbs are another category of drought-tolerant plants. They can evade drought by remaining dormant until rains arrive. However, this makes the garden appear rather barren.
Deep and infrequent watering of lawns and other garden plants encourages deep root growth. Plants with deep roots can better tolerate drought conditions, as the deepest layers of soil remain moist the longest.
- Watering Established Lawns, Xeriscaping: Ground Cover Plants, Trees And Shrubs, Garden Flowers, Xeriscaping: Retrofit Your Yard at Colorado State University Extension
- Drought-Tolerant Plants, Groundcovers at HGTV
- Drought-Tolerant Plants at Garden Gate
- Drought Tolerant Shrubs, Annuals at NC State University Coop Extension
- Xeriscaping at Old House Web
- Drought Tolerant Trees And Shrubs, Annuals, Perennials at University of Saskatchewan
- Drought Tolerant Plants at Lowes
- Sustainability Through Xeriscaping at North Dakota State University Extension
- Xeriscaping – What Is This?, Lug That Hose, Tote That Can — Or Try Xeriscaping, Preparing Your Xeriscape For Winter at Suite101
- Xeriscaping (Planting To Use Less Water.) at Northern Gardening
- Xeriscaping for Florida Homes by Monica Moran Brandies
- Dryland Gardening: Plants that Survive and Thrive in Tough Conditions by Jennifer Bennett
- Xeriscape Colorado: The Complete Guide by Connie Lockhart Ellefson, David Winger
- The Undaunted Garden: Planting for Weather-Resilient Beauty by Lauren Springer
- WaterWise Landscaping with Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Xeriscape Guide for the Rocky Mountain Region, California, and Desert Southwest by Jim Knopf
- Xeriscape Handbook: A How-To Guide to Natural, Resource-Wise Gardening by Gayle Weinstein
- Xeriscape Plant Guide: 100 Water-Wise Plants for Gardens and Landscapes by Denver Water
- Xeriscape Color Guide: 100 Water-Wise Plants for Gardens and Landscapes from Fulcrum Publishing
- The Xeriscape Flower Gardener: A Waterwise Guide for the Rocky Mountain Region by Jim Knopf
- Ortho’s All About Dry Climate Gardening (Ortho’s All About Gardening) by Ortho
In Your Garden:
How is the drought affecting your garden? We’d love to hear about what plants are still thriving, and any tips your might like to share.
Leave a reply →